Did you know that there are certain foods that make you happier and improve your mood? It is not that they contain magical properties, but that there are some foods that activate certain substances that stimulate or inhibit our emotional states known as neurotransmitters. The one that is responsible for increasing our levels of happiness is called serotonin and it is a neurotransmitter that, in addition to improving our mood, also helps us reduce stress and anxiety and facilitates a better rest.
Do you feel sad sometimes? You already know that one of the reasons why you can sometimes feel discouraged is because you are not consuming foods that favor the production of serotonin.
In this list of foods that make you happy we put bananas first. This fruit manages to increase serotonin levels and, therefore, helps us improve our mood due to the following nutrients:
- It contains a high content of vitamins A, C, B6 and K, which help increase the production of tryptophan, an essential amino acid related to happiness and depression. In addition, these vitamins help to synthesize and metabolize serotonin and dopamine in our body.
- It is also rich in fiber and natural glucose, so its daily intake helps us to have more energy throughout the day.
Eggs are also on the list of foods that increase our serotonin levels and therefore happiness. Although there is still a belief that the consumption of this food increases cholesterol levels, the truth is that some scientific studies have shown that a balanced consumption of eggs helps us only raise HDL cholesterol, that is, the one considered good.
That said, eggs make us improve our mood due to their richness in protein and vitamins (especially B6) as they favor the production of tryptophan.
Yes, the myth that chocolate makes you happier is true. However, we must try to include dark chocolate in our daily menu, since it does not contain sugar and is the purest of the entire range.
Dark chocolate is especially rich in tryptophan and magnesium, which activate different neurotransmitters that improve a person’s mood, such as serotonin and dopamine. In addition, it also raises the levels of exorphine, a neurotransmitter that acts as a natural analgesic, since it manages to reduce the sensation of pain.
Lastly, dark chocolate contains natural sugars and carbohydrates, which is why it also helps us to have more energy during the day and therefore, to feel less dull.
Oatmeal is a cereal that has become very popular due to its multiple benefits for the body, among which we can find its digestive and slimming properties due to its richness in soluble fiber. We include this cereal in this list of foods for its richness in complex carbohydrates. Thanks to this nutrient, oatmeal has three benefits related to happiness and mood:
- Complex or “smart” carbohydrates, unlike simple ones, give us energy and process it more slowly so that feeling can last all day.
- It also gives a calming effect so that by consuming oatmeal we feel calmer and less stressed.
- Carbohydrates facilitate the production of tryptophan and, consequently, help increase serotonin levels in our body.
Pineapple is a tropical fruit with many health properties. In addition to being a food with diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties, the richness in nutrients such as vitamins (C, B1 and B6), antioxidants and minerals (magnesium, iron and potassium) make pineapple one of the foods that make us feel emotionally. better:
- Its richness in vitamin C favors concentration and increases our motivation.
- Its bromelain content, in addition to providing anti-inflammatory properties, also raises tryptophan levels, which reduces the feeling of stress and anxiety.
- Finally, its richness in vitamins makes pineapple help us increase the production of melatoninal, the hormone responsible for sleep.
Mussels are molluscs that we should also consume frequently if we want to be happier. In addition to being a very low-calorie and low-fat food, mussels are included in this list due to the following nutrients:
- It has a high content of vitamin B12, which cellularly strengthens the brain and consequently helps us feel much more active.
- They are also rich in minerals such as iodine and protein, so they have properties that regulate the thyroid gland. Thanks to this, mussels improve our mood and in turn, help us maintain a more balanced weight.
- Finally, mussels have a good supply of zinc and selenium, two minerals that increase the amount of tryptophan and therefore raise the levels of happiness neurotransmitters.
Another food that makes you happy is tuna, which helps us feel better thanks to its nutritional richness. It has a high content of B vitamins, which are essential to regulate the functioning of our nervous system.
It also stands out for its great contribution in healthy fatty acids (especially in omega 3) and in different minerals such as potassium and phosphorus that favor the production of serotonin and improve our energy levels.
This fruit is ideal to include in our weekly menu, since it has different nutrients that make us happier. On the one hand, it has a great source of minerals such as magnesium and pyridoxine, which are completely necessary for the activation of the neurotransmitters of happiness.
On the other hand, avocado stands out for its contribution in polyunsaturated fatty acids that raise our energy and concentration levels.
Another food that makes you happy is turmeric. Turmeric is a spice considered a natural antidepressant, since its richness in antioxidants and its spicy active ingredients favor the secretion of both serotonin and endorphins.
In addition, thanks to these nutrients, turmeric also has the ability to block the activity of an enzyme known as monoamine oxidase, which is related to emotional disorders.
The last food that we include in this list is brewer’s yeast. This kind of flour is rich in B vitamins, which are essential for the proper functioning of our nervous system.
In addition, thanks to its contribution in protein and minerals such as magnesium and zinc, brewer’s yeast stimulates the production of serotonin and has a relaxing effect.