Agaricus blazei murrili is a Brazilian mushroom rich in important minerals such as calcium and iron. Useful for strengthening the immune system, it is also used as a hepatoprotector and antioxidant. Let’s find out better.
Description of the mushroom
It is a mushroom native to Brazil, edible and very tasty, and it is the only one with a recent history. It was in fact studied only about 35 years ago by a botanist Heimann and was named after its first and chance discoverer in Florida.
It is a difficult mushroom to find and grow, therefore very expensive , and was largely unknown in America and Europe for years until the findings of the mid-1970s. From recent studies the ABM is actually Agaricus subrufescens according to Dr. Peck and Agaricus brasiliensis according to Dr. Wasser.
In the last 10 years it has been studied as a “novel food ” (i.e. inserted among the new foods) in Japan, Korea, China and Taiwan.
The ABM does not grow easily, it prefers humid and warm environments, that is, the typical climate of Brazil. It was already used by Byzantine doctors of the Mediterranean area of the 4th and 15th centuries for the treatment of “malignant ulcers” of the larynx.
In popular tradition it has been used for emotional stress, to stimulate the immune system, to improve the quality of life of diabetics, for the prevention of osteoporosis, for the treatment of gastrointestinal and circulatory disorders and for allergies, autoimmune and oncological diseases.
Currently, studies on ABM are more oriented towards degenerative pathologies, in particular oncological ones.
The properties of Agaricus blazei murrili
ABM contains 38.5% protein, 2.6% fat, 27.7% carbohydrates, 12.4% beta-glucans and 20.6% fiber, although these percentages vary depending on of the growth stage of the fungus.
Rich in many important minerals including iron, calcium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, potassium and sodium etc … and last but not least the vitamins of group B and vitamin D.
The main mechanisms of action are:
- purification of the organism and antioxidant,
- strengthening of the immune system against viruses , bacteria, HIV, candida and infectious diseases,
- rebalancing of the defenses and is very useful in different forms of allergies and autoimmune diseases (eg. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthrosis),
- hepatoprotector and as an adjuvant in the different forms of hepatitis,
- in overweight reduces appetite,
- increase in the antioxidant power of the skin, improving its appearance and tone,
- in Japan it is taken as a prevention against cancer and diseases in general, in fact there are studies that show that this mushroom given to mice for ten days before inoculating cancer cells, the tumor does not take root while in the group of guinea pigs that have not been given the fungus the tumor takes root and progresses.
- ABM counteracts the side effects of chemo and radio.
In the Amazon it is called “God’s mushroom” because those who eat it usually live a long time and get sick less than those who do not take it.
When to use agaricus blazei murrili
Its main indication is precisely of an oncological nature and on the immune system both when the response is deficient and hyperactive, it is in fact able to direct the response of this system so important for the human being.
It has an important chemo-preventive action, but also chemo and radio-protective and is therefore a very valid support for the whole organism and its cells exposed to exposure to toxic substances, in this sense it is indicated in the management of the side effects of conventional cancer therapies.
It is a fungus that acts very well on autoimmune diseases, including systemic ones (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.) which in this case it is useful to associate with Hericium Erinaceus which carries out a reconstructive stimulus on the nervous tissue for the formation of myelin (eg multiple sclerosis).