Flax or linseed is a seed that is extracted from the Linum usitatissimum plant, belonging to the Linaceae family and from which linseed oil and flaxseed meal are also extracted. Many specialists recommend the consumption of ground flaxseed, over flaxseeds, because it is more easily digested.
Ground flaxseed can be enjoyed through juices or infusions. It can also be mixed in some foods to take full advantage of its benefits. On this occasion, we tell you all the properties of flaxseed and we clarify what ground flaxseed is for and how you can take advantage of it.
Nutritional composition of flaxseed
Flaxseed is a food rich in fiber and antioxidants that, in turn, has Omega 3, 6 and 9 oils, as well as B vitamins and vitamin C. In addition, it has a high content of potassium, iron, magnesium and folic acid. This is the nutritional value of flaxseed per 100 g:
- Calories: 534
- Fat: 42 g, of which: 3.7 g are saturated fats, 29 g are polyunsaturated fats and 8 g are monounsaturated fats.
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 30mg
- Potassium: 813mg
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fibers: 27g
- Sugars: 1.6g
- Protein: 18g
Properties of ground flaxseed
Flaxseed is one of those foods that often appears in many healthy eating regimens, but what makes it so beneficial? The key to the properties of flaxseed lies in its Omega 3 content, also called alpha linolenic acid, as well as its fiber content. It is believed that, in addition to helping with digestion, flaxseed can also help prevent cardiovascular disease, as it helps balance blood cholesterol. Other of the most important properties of flaxseed are:
- It is anti-inflammatory : thanks to linolenic acid, flaxseed helps relieve inflammation.
- Takes care of the skin : regular consumption of ground flaxseed can bring brightness and freshness to the skin. In this way, it helps to counteract premature aging and is an excellent ally against diseases such as psoriasis and eczema.
- Fights constipation – Like any fiber-rich food, flaxseed is good for improving digestion and removing waste from the body more easily.
- Helps the body deal with asthma or arthritis.
What is ground flaxseed for – benefits
The intake of ground flaxseed can provide a significant number of benefits to the body. Among the most important benefits of flaxseed, we can mention:
- It acts as an antioxidant : The consumption of ground flaxseed will help you increase your body’s defenses, preventing you from getting sick on a recurring basis. It also promotes memory and mood.
- Prevents cancer: these seeds have more than 20 compounds that will help prevent cancer and maintain cell health.
- Prevents the formation of blood clots. In this way, it reduces the risk of heart attacks or cardiovascular accidents.
- It works as an energizer: with the recurring intake of flaxseeds, you will have more energy during the day, since it will help all the muscles of the body to recover quickly.
- Flaxseed for hair : flaxseed contains a large amount of vitamins B and E, ideal for preventing hair loss and giving it shine. To do this, you should only apply this water after having removed the respective shampoo and hair conditioner.
How to take ground flaxseed
Flaxseed should be taken with large amounts of water or any other liquid, due to its high fiber content. One of the easiest drinks to prepare is flaxseed water, which is easy to digest and provides the body with all the well-known benefits of flaxseed.
In case you want to prepare it, you must follow the following steps:
- Boil a tablespoon of ground flaxseed in a cup of water.
- Wait for it to form a jelly-like consistency for the water to solidify.
- After it boils, remove it from the stove and let it rest.
Many people consume ground flaxseed on an empty stomach, either through flaxseed water or other preparations. Eating ground flaxseed every morning will help absorb its nutrients more easily and improve digestion throughout the day.
How to take ground flaxseed to lose weight
One of the benefits of ground flaxseed is that it promotes digestive processes, which is why it helps you lose weight. You can include ground flaxseed in your meals, as it has very little nutty flavor and goes perfectly with many ingredients. You can also drink flaxseed water.
However you prefer to consume ground flaxseed, it is important that you do so daily. You can take ground flaxseed on an empty stomach, during the day or after each meal. Combine your healthy eating habits with a consistent exercise routine and you’ll see results in no time.
Contraindications of flaxseed
Despite the multiple benefits that flaxseed offers for the body, some people can have side effects such as flatulence or weight gain. Not all people can assimilate it, which is why flaxseed is contraindicated in the following cases :
- Pregnant Women : the consumption of flaxseed, as well as flour or oil in large quantities, can be harmful to the fetus, since it can affect the reproductive system of the fetus.
- Sufferers of Systemic Sclerosis : Those who suffer from this disease, or are at risk of suffering from intestinal obstructions, should eliminate flaxseed from their diet, as it increases the chances of suffering from constipation.
- Allergies : People who are allergic to any of the components of these seeds should quickly stop consuming them or place them in small amounts in order to cause the least possible damage to the body.
- If you are under the influence of certain medications : if you are under medical treatment, you must ensure that the consumption of flaxseed does not coincide with the time of the medication. Check with your doctor to find out if there is any contraindication to flaxseed in your treatment.
How to grind flax seeds
Finally, you can purchase ground flaxseed or seeds at any supermarket, health food store, or similar establishment. In the case of buying flaxseeds, you can grind them with the help of any food processor or coffee grinder in the comfort of your home.