Around 25 percent of all women of childbearing age suffer from premenstrual syndrome (PMS). A number of physical and psychological complaints regularly occur in the second half of the menstrual cycle. Which homeopathic medicines can then help.
Almost every woman is familiar with feeling unwell on the days before her period. Around 75 percent of all women of childbearing age suffer from typical premenstrual symptoms such as headaches, weight gain, a feeling of tension in the breasts and often also mood swings, irritability and depressive feelings from around the time of ovulation until a few days before menstruation.
What is PMS?
When the bleeding occurs, the symptoms subside again in the first two days of the period. However, they can reappear and change in the next menstrual cycle. In around 25 percent of all fertile women, premenstrual symptoms occur regularly. This is then referred to as premenstrual syndrome (PMS). In about five percent, the symptoms are so severe that everyday life and professional life are massively impaired.
What exactly triggers the premenstrual syndrome is still not fully understood. What is certain is that the interplay of the female sex hormones in the menstrual cycle, in particular the drop in estrogen after ovulation and the simultaneous increase in progesterone, play a role.
Gentle relief from PMS symptoms with homeopathy
The treatment of PMS depends primarily on the type and intensity of the symptoms that are in the foreground. In addition to drug treatment with hormones or painkillers, homeopathy can also help to alleviate the various symptoms gently and, above all, without side effects.
Homeopathy for PMS: Typical potencies and their dosage
For self-treatment, low potencies of 3X to 12X are commonly used. However, choosing the right homeopathic medicine is not always easy. If there are any uncertainties, an experienced homeopath should be asked for advice if possible, who can use a detailed anamnesis to determine the right remedy as well as the potency and dosage that is suitable for the individual.
Homeopathic medicines for PMS
The following homeopathic medicines have proven particularly effective in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome:
- Agnus castus: Agnus castus is a homeopathic classic against PMS. Because the fruits of the chaste tree, from which the homeopathic medicine is made, are said to have a regulating effect on the female hormone balance. Especially when symptoms such as painful, swollen breasts, water retention with weight gain as well as tiredness, listlessness and general exhaustion occur on the days before the period, Agnus castus is a particularly suitable remedy. However, the effect does not occur immediately, but develops gradually. In a small study with 23 women who were treated for PMS with agnus castus, a significant improvement in symptoms was achieved after three months of use.
- Cimicifuga: The homeopathic black cohosh is an important remedy for gynecological problems. Because of its estrogen-like effect, it is mainly used for menopausal symptoms. But it also helps against severe mood swings and abdominal cramps that occur in connection with PMS.
- Nux vomica: If you are irritable, aggressive, annoyed and stressed in the days before your period, which is accompanied by symptoms in the abdominal area such as heartburn, abdominal cramps, slight nausea, but also pain in the back and breasts, Nux vomica (the crushed nut ) provide gentle relief.
- Sepia: The great female remedy Sepia is a so-called polychrest. This is the name given to homeopathic medicines with a particularly broad spectrum of activity and a deep, long-lasting effect. This is particularly evident in states of exhaustion and depressive moods, which often occur in connection with PMS. Sepia is also the right remedy if headaches and painful breasts that are sensitive to pressure become noticeable as symptoms in the run-up to the period.
- Cyclamen: Cyclamen is considered a particularly helpful homeopathic remedy for migraines with blurred vision and dizziness, insomnia and a tearful mood. Cyclamen is a proven female remedy that acts on the genitals and is also used to treat migraine headaches with vertigo.
- Magnesium carbonicum: Irritable mood, bloated abdomen, constipation and abdominal cramps are PMS symptoms that speak for treatment with Magnesium carbonicum. Because the magnesium mineral shows a preferential effect on the mood, the nervous system and the digestive tract.