Garlic and lemon are two precious ingredients for our health, especially when used daily and in combination with each other. So let’s find out how to prepare 5 natural remedies based on garlic and lemon, what are the beneficial properties and when to take them during the day
The benefits of garlic and lemon are many and all confirmed by various scientific researches that wanted to analyze the potential of these two natural ingredients considering different aspects of our health.
Obviously garlic and lemon have properties also taken individually but it seems that the combination between them is a particularly useful natural solution and known for its potential since ancient times.
In fact, remember that garlic is a natural antibiotic able to improve blood circulation avoiding the formation of clots. Its potential in regulating blood pressure and cholesterol was then confirmed, as well as its ability to act positively on the natural defenses of our body. Finally, it is an excellent anti-inflammatory.
To all this is added the power of lemon, a citrus fruit with alkalizing and detoxing qualities, also able to help the immune system to keep viruses and bacteria away. This fruit also promotes digestion and can help prevent colds and kidney stones. Finally, let us remember that it is a good source of vitamin C. But now let’s find out more in depth what benefits we could notice from an intake, at correct and constant doses, of a mix of garlic and lemon.
Benefits of garlic and lemon
Using garlic and lemon, in a short time you could notice several benefits that we could summarize as follows:
- Cardiovascular wellbeing: garlic and lemon are good for you and act on several fronts to ensure the health of the cardiovascular system. In fact, they prevent clots from forming in the blood, help to “clean” the arteries, regulate pressure and lower bad cholesterol;
- Stronger Immune System: Both of these remedies are active against the immune system which they support and strengthen. As a result, it is possible to notice better health in general and a lower frequency of flu and colds;
- Faster healing: If you’re struggling with a cold, cough or flu, taking garlic and lemon can be a great natural remedy to get back into shape faster. In fact, both remedies have antibacterial and antiviral qualities;
- Detox: these natural ingredients help purify the body of toxins. The result over time could be to notice a greater shine of the skin, nails and hair;
- More energy: thanks to the active ingredients of garlic and lemon, purifying on the one hand and nourishing on the other, it is possible to feel, after some time from the constant and combined intake of the two remedies, decidedly more energetic;
- Well-being of the stomach and intestines: taking a decoction of lemon and boiled garlic, or other remedies that use the combination of these two ingredients, can be useful to improve digestion by favoring the correct work of the stomach but also to eliminate excess intestinal gas.
How to prepare garlic and lemon
There are several variants to take garlic and lemon that can be used according to tastes and needs in order to make the most of all the benefits that these two natural remedies offer.
For all preparations we recommend that you always use organic or untreated lemons and garlic. In fact, consider that some remedies also include the use of the external part, both of lemon and garlic. If you do not choose organic, it is likely that there are various pesticides that would interfere with some beneficial purposes of the remedy, for example with the detox effect. Let’s find out now the best 5 garlic and lemon recipes.
1. Garlic and lemon decoction
Among the preparations with garlic and lemon, the decoction is one of the simplest and fastest, in fact it requires only 10 minutes of preparation. Let’s see how to do it.
- Garlic ›1 clove
- Lemon ›1
- Water ›1 and a half cups
- Wash the lemon well and without cutting or peeling it, immerse it in a high saucepan with enough water so that it is completely covered;
- Then add the garlic clove, also in this case whole and not peeled, and bring to a boil for 7 minutes;
- At this point, turn off the heat, filter and drink, leaving the herbal tea to dissolve for a moment. It is good not to add sugar.
2. Garlic, lemon and honey
This recipe is especially useful in case of a sore throat, thanks to the help of honey. The preparation requires a rest time of about three days, then it can be taken in a dose of one tablespoon a day. Let’s see how it’s done.
- Garlic ›10 cloves
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Honey ›1 cup
- First you need to peel the garlic and chop it finely, but only half the rind of the lemon is used, first washed and then grated;
- Both ingredients must be added to the honey inside a glass jar and mixed well;
- At this point you have to wait 3 days before the remedy is ready and effective, so keep the jar in a place away from light and heat.
3. Tibetan recipe based on garlic and lemon
This recipe is said to have been found in a Tibetan monastery and dates back over 2,000 years. The preparation takes about a month and the intake, as we will see, is established by a precise frequency. Taking this remedy is said to help cleanse the arteries, detoxify and strengthen the body, and lower cholesterol. Let’s see how it is prepared.
- Garlic ›350 gr
- Lemon juice ›50 ml
- Ethyl alcohol for food use (96 °) ›250 gr
- Peel and grind the garlic and place it in a bottle to which alcohol will then be added;
- This must be kept in a cool and dry place for 10 days;
- After the time has elapsed, the liquid must be filtered with a piece of tightly meshed cotton in order to eliminate the shredded garlic;
- The remedy thus obtained must be kept at rest for 3 weeks and then taken in drops;
Each time the drops should be taken with about 50 grams of fruit juice (we will choose that of freshly squeezed lemon) which in reality can also be diluted or even replaced with water, other juices or vegetable drinks. The drops are taken 20 minutes before breakfast, lunch and dinner (see below how).
4. Garlic and lemon syrup
This lemon and garlic preparation is useful against sore throats and coughs, but also helps purify the body if taken consecutively for a few days (we will see how to take it further below). Preparation is simple and takes just a few minutes. Let’s see how to proceed.
- Garlic ›300 gr
- Lemons ›1 Kg
- Water ›1.5 Liters
- First you need to peel and chop the garlic and immediately after squeeze the juice of the lemons;
- At this point the water is boiled and the ingredients are added, leaving it on the stove for about 15 minutes;
- Now the syrup is ready and can be stored in glass jars taking 25 ml every morning.
5. Lemon and ginger garlic paste
In just 10 minutes you will have this garlic and lemon paste we added ginger to take advantage of its benefits. Ready in 10 minutes, you can use it in the kitchen as you wish. Let’s see the recipe.
- Garlic ›1 clove
- Lemon ›half
- Fresh ginger root ›4/5 cm
- After peeling the ginger, cut it finely then take the clove of garlic and chop it;
- Add the lemon juice by mixing all the ingredients to obtain a paste of the right consistency (you have to dose the lemon well depending on whether it is more or less rich in juice)
- A tablespoon of this mixture can be used every day in the kitchen or taken as it is like a real natural remedy.
Methods and advice for use
The combination of garlic and lemon can be taken several times throughout the day and the best time varies according to the recipe you intend to prepare. Let’s see in detail.
- Decoction of garlic and lemon: you can take advantage of its properties as a natural antibiotic by rising the decoction when you prefer the first symptoms of flu (it is usually recommended a couple of times a day) or take it preventively to strengthen the immune defenses and avoid the infection.
- Garlic and lemon honey: it is recommended to take one tablespoon a day, preferably in the morning on an empty stomach for 7 days, then interrupting for 10 and resuming a second 7-day cycle. It can be taken as it is or diluted in warm water.
- Garlic and lemon syrup: as regards the syrup, this should be taken in the morning on an empty stomach for 25 days, then paused for 10 days and restarted for another 25. At this point you should already notice several benefits and you can stop.
- Lemon and ginger garlic paste: it can be used in the kitchen when you prefer or taken as a natural remedy as it is in the dose of a spoon at any time of the day.
The Tibetan recipe has a precise pattern of taking the drops. You start the first day with 1 for breakfast, 2 for lunch and 3 for dinner, then the second day you start from 4 in the morning, then 5 for lunch, then 6 for dinner, the third day 7 drops in the morning, 8 for lunch and 9 in the evening, and the following days it goes on increasing always by one drop until the 6th day when it reaches 18 drops in the evening. At this point you always start to climb by one drop until you reach the 12th day in which you take 2 drops in the morning, 1 at lunch 25 in the evening (from this point you start by taking 25 drops 3 times a day). It is then continued for the following days with 25 drops 3 times a day until all the garlic remedy ends. Once the treatment is completed, it cannot be repeated until after 5 years. To get a clear idea of what this ancient Tibetan remedy entails, we have prepared a table for you:
|Day 1||1 drop||2 drops||3 drops|
|Day 2||4 drops||5 drops||6 drops|
|Day 3||7 drops||8 drops||9 drops|
|Day 4||10 drops||11 drops||12 drops|
|Day 5||13 drops||14 drops||15 drops|
|Day 6||16 drops||17 drops||18 drops|
|Day 7||17 drops||16 drops||15 drops|
|Day 8||14 drops||13 drops||12 drops|
|Day 9||11 drops||10 drops||9 drops|
|Day 10||8 drops||7 drops||6 drops|
|Day 11||5 drops||4 drops||3 drops|
|Day 12||2 drops||1 drops||25 drops|
|All the following days |
|25 drops||25 drops||25 drops|
Is it possible to buy ready-made garlic paste?
It is also possible to buy a ready-made garlic paste to which you can then add lemon juice directly but this is more suitable for food consumption, i.e. it can be added to your favorite dishes rather than taken as a natural remedy. However, it is a good solution to exploit, at least in part, the beneficial virtues contained in garlic.
Garlic and lemon: contraindications
Garlic and lemon also have contraindications, despite being natural products. It should be avoided constantly taking any remedy based on these ingredients in case of stomach irritation, for example ulcers, serious digestive problems with raw garlic and if you are taking medications (especially anticoagulants). Also pay attention to alcohol sensitivity in the case of the Tibetan recipe, not recommended for pregnant women, breastfeeding women and children. To be avoided absolutely in case of allergy to garlic or if, after taking one of the remedies, nausea, cramps, vomiting or diarrhea appear.
Does garlic and lemon ruin your teeth?
A bit like it happens if you take water and lemon daily, even the variant with garlic could in the long run ruin the tooth enamel. The alternative, if you take the herbal tea, is to drink it with a straw so that the liquid touches the teeth as little as possible and therefore the corrosive action of the lemon on them cannot be activated.
Is garlic and lemon suitable for children?
Nothing prevents you from using the aforementioned recipes based on garlic and lemon also for children (except for the Tibetan recipe) always and only after having heard the opinion of the pediatrician. However, it will be difficult to convince them to take garlic above all given its strong taste and persistent smell. Probably for the little ones it is better to choose something sweeter and more pleasing to them.