Heather honey is considered a honey that has numerous health benefits thanks to its great properties. In fact, within honey, it is considered one of the best for our health. A fact that contrasts with the fact that its appearance is not the most visual or attractive because it is very dark, it almost seems black, which some people reject and prefer to take another type of lighter honey. In addition, it also has particularities in terms of its flavor because it is not a very sweet honey, but rather a certain bitterness is noted on the palate. These are particularities that add more attractiveness to this natural product when talking about its benefits, especially for the circulatory system and the kidneys.
What is heather honey
As we have mentioned before, heather honey has particularities in terms of its flavor –it is more bitter-, and color because it is not as yellow or golden as the others, but rather is practically black. However, the tone can vary because there is also colored heather honey such as mahogany or dark red. In addition, it is a very thick honey that crystallizes very easily.
They are particularities of heather honey that are given by the plant on which the bees that later produce it feed. This plant is known as heather or heather, but in other areas it is called biércol. This plant is common in Spain and also in other parts of Europe, being common to find it in mountain areas, even living at 2,600 meters. Even the plant itself is also known as heather honey.
Properties and benefits of heather honey
Heather honey has numerous properties and benefits, so it is very good that it is part of the usual diet in fair amounts, except for medical contraindications. And it is that among its properties we highlight that it is:
- Skin moisturizer.
These properties translate into a series of health benefits about which we have already anticipated that the kidney and the circulatory system are the main beneficiaries. But there is still more:
- Circulatory system: heather honey favors coronary irrigation, thus helping to reduce the risk of suffering a heart attack, arrhythmias or angina pectoris, among other coronary conditions.
- Renal system: heather honey is very useful to help cleanse the bladder and prevent prostate problems and cystitis. Besides, it is beneficial for the kidney because it minimizes the chances of having stones.
- Digestive system: for people who have diarrhea problems, it helps regulate their intestines, although it should be taken in moderation to pass constipation.
- Skin: this honey is also widely used to treat small burns and wounds because it prevents them from becoming infected, as well as speeding up healing. From the point of view of beauty, it has great power to hydrate the dermis.
- Support in diets to lose weight: honey, especially heather and rosemary, are the most used to replace refined sugar in many diets to lose weight. However, it should be borne in mind that it still contains sugars and that in the case of following a diet of this type its consumption should be moderate, for example half a teaspoon of coffee to sweeten a natural yogurt from time to time, and always following the recommendations to the maximum. dietary guidelines that the doctor has given us and exercising. The main difference between using honey or white or refined sugar is that the former is much healthier.
To these specific benefits of heather honey, all those that are present in all honeys are added, so it is also used for sore throats, colds or flus because it has calming and tranquilizing power.
How to take heather honey
Heather honey can be taken in different ways, which vary depending on the purpose for which it is ingested and the expected health benefit. However, it can be taken like any honey to prepare desserts, eat with toast, use it as a sweetener in coffee, milk or infusions… In the latter case, it is convenient to take a teaspoon of coffee. However, it can also be used in other ways. This is how we recommend you take heather honey and apply or use it as needed:
- Milk: one of the ways to take heather honey is to dilute it in a little warm milk to mix it well. With this mixture, a texture is created that is like a cream, which can be used to moisturize the skin of the face or body. Within this use, there are also some variations depending on the type of skin. And it is that to moisturize dry skin it is better to mix milk with honey with an egg yolk or a little almond oil, while it is important to add a little lemon juice if the skin is oily or is going to be applied on the mixed area of the face. However, it can also be used in this way to treat small burns or non-open wounds. It is also possible to put a small amount of heather honey on the area to be treated directly without being mixed with milk.
- Watercress: heather honey mixed with an infusion of watercress is used to treat skin imperfections such as skin blemishes. You just have to apply it on the area and let it act like a mask.
- Glycerin: this honey, if mixed with a little lemon juice and glycerin and applied to the skin, helps prevent skin irritations. In addition, it is an ideal combination to treat skin burns that have been caused by excessive sun exposure.
- Gargling with heather honey: for all those conditions in the respiratory tract (flu, colds, coughs…) it is beneficial to gargle with a tablespoon of this honey mixed in a glass of water.
- Lemon juice: in addition to the benefits already mentioned above, there are even more benefits when it is taken with lemon juice. And it is that ingesting several tablespoons a day of this mixture helps to lower the fever.
Heather honey contraindications
Despite the numerous benefits of heather honey, it also has some contraindications:
- Diabetes: it can raise the level of sugar in the blood, so it should be taken in moderation and count the necessary dose of insulin well if it is going to be taken.
- Allergy: It is important to know that you are not allergic to this honey before consuming it. Likewise, it is just as important to avoid its consumption if you are allergic to honey in general, even if you have only confirmed it with the most common, and if you are allergic to pollen.
- Anticoagulant medications: people who take anticoagulant medication or to improve circulation are not good to take because it accelerates blood circulation. The same happens with those who have serious cardiac pathologies.
- Kidney problems: although it is beneficial for the renal system, heather honey should not be taken when you have serious kidney problems because it can accentuate them or interfere with medication.