Bacteria can live in our homes for days, weeks, or even months. Hence the importance of changing the sheets periodically and, of course, disinfecting them with cleaning products.
When we think about health problems, the first thing that comes to mind is a sick person who can infect us through direct contact. However, microbes are everywhere and one of their vehicles is the sheets .
The first thing to note is that two terms are required to keep a house tidy : hygiene and cleanliness . Two words that seem synonymous, but in reality each has its purpose and both avoid disease.
- Cleaning is the process of removing dirt and debris in the environment.
- Hygiene includes a wide range of measures that protect health and well-being.
Most people follow hygiene and cleanliness measures. However, while it often looks like there’s no dirt, it doesn’t mean there’s not a ton of bacteria. These are not only found in the sheets, but also in the mattresses, in the bedroom and in countless surrounding objects .
What is hiding in the sheets?
- Body oils
- Saliva residues
- External dirt
- Sexual fluids
- Urine and fecal material
But do the fungi remain in the tissues? Unfortunately, yes. What is alarming is that many people do not change their sheets with the proper periodicity . Therefore, when they are put in the washing machine, it is more difficult for liquids to penetrate deeply.
Not to mention that every day dead skin cells peel off and remain on the tissue. This becomes an attractive factor for dust mites , because they take them as a food.
Mites, which interfere with our respiratory system , are also attracted to warm and humid environments. As a result, a bed can have up to 10 million bacteria! And, even though it sounds disgusting, they defecate, causing allergic reactions.
How often do you need to change the sheets?
In microbiology it is recommended to do this at least once a week , as common sense would tell us. However, if you really want to destroy bacteria , you should pay attention to the following points:
- Do not overdo the load – it is very easy to take all the clothes and do a single load. However, if you want the washing machine to really clean them, you only need to put one set of sheets.
- Program Setting: If your sheets are really dirty, we recommend that you choose the stronger cycle . In any other case, a regular cycle is sufficient.
The problem is that if you leave them in the washing machine too much they can shrink, so we recommend washing them more frequently. If you still want to combine loads, it is best to put the sheets with light cotton fabrics, but never with towels.
- Let them dry : Sheets usually take a little longer to dry than the rest of the clothes.
- Temperature: even if the sheets do not have stubborn stains, it is best to wash them with warm or hot water , i.e. between 40 and 60 ° C. It’s the only way to keep the mites from surviving.
However, it never hurts to look at the label , as there are some types of fabric that cannot be washed at high temperatures, so just look at the coupon on your sheets to know what to do.
Hygiene and cleaning measures
- Keep the area ventilated for at least 10 minutes a day.
- Stop feeding the mites and use the vacuum cleaner at least once a week .
- Dust the furniture every day.
- Remember that germs like humidity: spaces with mold have a high allergenic and toxic risk.
- Wash and disinfect floors and carpets once a week.
- It is equally important to disinfect the closet where the sheets are kept.
How to have a healthy bed?
- The first thing to do is to clean up the dust and clean the mattress with a vacuum cleaner and an upholstery brush.
- Then you need to use protectors in the pillows .
- Finally, it is recommended that you take a bath before going to bed or, if you don’t, wash your hands.