Lower cholesterol with garlic: 3 natural remedies
Thanks to its high antioxidant content, garlic is one of the best allies for lowering high cholesterol. Today we want to share with you 3 useful remedies to enjoy its properties.
Have you ever wondered how to lower cholesterol with garlic? Most likely you have already heard of the great medicinal virtues of this food, in particular for cardiovascular health.
In this article, we explain why it is possible to lower cholesterol with garlic, as long as, of course, you lead a healthy lifestyle and eat a balanced diet. Science confirms these properties.
Is it possible to lower cholesterol with garlic?
Garlic has been consumed as a medicinal food for centuries. Numerous studies report its positive effects in treating digestive and circulatory disorders, coughs, intestinal parasites, pneumonia and other health problems.
This food also protects cardiovascular health. Helps lower cholesterol, blood pressure or platelet aggregation, for example. Nonetheless, it remains essential to follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
1. Eat a clove of garlic to lower cholesterol
Garlic is one of the natural supplements used to lower high cholesterol. In fact, the effectiveness of its properties is confirmed by numerous researches.
Among the remedies we propose to lower cholesterol with garlic, this is the simplest. Nevertheless, one important detail must be paid attention to: garlic must be consumed raw .
Many people prefer to swallow the clove or parts of it to avoid tasting or smelling it. Nevertheless, a study shows that in this way we could reduce its effectiveness, it is preferable to consume it chewed or chopped.
- 1 clove of raw garlic per day (1 g)
What to do
- Every day we should eat a clove of raw , chewed or minced garlic.
- If we find it difficult to chew it, we can blend or mince it along with the rest of the food, but avoiding cooking it.
- We can reduce the flavor by chewing on some anise seeds or parsley leaves.
2. Lower cholesterol with garlic and lemon juice
One study demonstrates the cardiovascular health benefits of combining garlic and lemon juice. The study was conducted over 8 weeks on subjects between the ages of 30 and 60 who presented with moderate hyperlipidaemia.
- 8 medium raw garlic cloves (20 g)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
What to do
- First of all, you need to drink lemon juice on an empty stomach.
- We will consume the garlic cloves throughout the day , always raw. We can chop them to use as a condiment, blend them to include them in soups, grease them on toast, etc.
- The results of the study were evaluated over two months.
3. Black garlic to lower cholesterol
Black garlic also helps lower cholesterol. The properties of this variety of garlic facilitate the elimination of lipids retained in the arteries.
The strong smell of garlic is undoubtedly the main drawback , which is why many people refuse its usual consumption and prefer to look for alternatives to take care of their health .
Nonetheless, among the treatment methods developed to eliminate its odor, that of black garlic has met with considerable success. This variety is obtained from a ripening in conditions of high temperature and humidity.
This aging process darkens the color of the garlic and alters its flavor and texture. The clove keeps its shape intact, but becomes soft. Also, it’s a little reminiscent of licorice.
It should also be noted that some of its components increase during this ripening process. Therefore, both its antioxidant efficacy and its effects that allow to regulate lipids , including cholesterol, increase.
What do we need?
- Unpeeled garlic cloves
- A container that can maintain a constant temperature between 40 ° C and 60 ° C for about one, two or three months of time (For example, a thermos, a yoghurt maker, an electric rice cooker, a Crock-Pot , etc.)
How do we prepare it?
- We remove the outer layer of the bulb , leaving the one closest to the garlic clove.
- Then we wrap it in aluminum foil.
- We introduce the garlic in a container that has the characteristics described and let it mature for at least two months . The garlic will be ready when the inside has taken on a black color. After a month, we can already start checking.
- The process is simple, but requires patience.
How do we consume it?
- We can eat a clove of garlic half an hour before one of the three main meals.
You now have several options to lower cholesterol with garlic in a simple and natural way. However, you must first consult your doctor, especially if you suffer from digestive disorders or are taking medications, as this remedy may interfere with any of them.