Properties and Benefits of Onion

Onion is a food rich in benefits for our body. Let’s find out its properties and how to best use it.

One of the essential foods in the kitchen is onion . In practice, we can prepare and cook it in all possible ways and it is used to season any dish. Furthermore, its gastronomic , nutritional and even medical properties make onion a highly recommended food. Below, we illustrate the properties and main benefits of onion.

Onion nutrients

The main element of the onion is water, in fact it represents 90% of its composition . For this reason, it is surprising how many nutrients and beneficial properties are found in the remaining 10%:

  • Essential oils : to them we owe most of the properties of the onion, which we will discuss later, although they are also the culprits of the annoying tearing of when cutting onions.
  • B vitamins : necessary for the proper functioning of the nervous and immune systems, together with vitamin E and C, with a powerful antioxidant action.
  • Numerous minerals and trace elements such as potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, sodium and sulfur.
  • Essential amino acids.
  • Fiber.

Properties and benefits of onion

One of the best known properties of the onion is its diuretic action , so it is highly recommended in subjects with renal insufficiency, gout  or hyperuricemia, kidney stones and hypertension. Thanks to its diuretic effect, its high water and fiber content, its low fat and sugar content, it is indispensable in any diet.

It has an expectorant, as well as bacterial and fungicidal action. It is very useful when you have colds , phlegm, bronchitis, pharyngitis and other respiratory affections, which will be easily defeated thanks to the beneficial benefits of onion.

In fact, a widely used remedy in these cases is to put an onion cut in half next to the bed at night. In recent years, its beneficial effect has been shown for the treatment of asthma and allergies .

It is a powerful cardio-protector , thanks to its antithrombotic, hypolipidemic (ie, it has the ability to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels) and hypotensive properties, if habitually consumed.

The well-known purifying action of onion is due to the fact that it is able to eliminate toxins and ferments produced by the stomach after digestion. This process also stimulates the liver , pancreas and bladder to eliminate the necessary substances. However, these effects only occur when eaten raw.

People with sensitive stomachs, who suffer from stomach acid or tend to flatulence or bloating should avoid excessive onion consumption , as it would worsen their situation.

Eat onion often

The properties of the onion are innumerable , here we have only reported the most relevant; We therefore invite you to eat onion every day, in any way, but preferably raw, as this is how it preserves all its properties.

Leave a Comment