The homeopathic remedy Sulphur iodatum (sulfur iodide) combines the therapeutic qualities of sulfur with those of iodine. Sulfur iodide is obtained by melting one part sulfur and four parts iodine; administered in infinitesimal doses, diluted and dynamized, stimulates the patient’s reactivity for a faster recovery.
Sulfur iodide: what it is
Sulfur iodide looks like a dark gray mass, soluble in alcohol and insoluble in water, in which bright iodized lamellae of marked odor stand out. This compound contains approximately 80% iodine and 20% washed sublimated sulfur.
Its pharmacological action is linked both to that of sulfur (accelerates the resolution of inflammatory forms of the skin, mucous membranes, serous, attenuates circulatory manifestations such as hot flashes, palpitations, tachycardia) and to that of iodine (inflammation and sclerosis of the lymph nodes, increase in general metabolism by thyroid stimulus with slimming, despite the increase in appetite).
Sulfur iodatum: homeopathic remedy
This homeopathic remedy is indicated, in particular, in the asthenic longilinear biotype and has a psoro-tuberculin diathesis.
It is mainly used in the care of:
- Nasopharyngitis and relapsing anginas associated with hypertrophic tonsils;
- Allergic rhinitis, tracheobronchitis and asthmatiform bronchitis, dry pleurisy and serofibrinous pleurisy;
- Relapsing infections;
- Adenoid hypertrophy;
- Juvenile papular acne with folliculitis;
- Blepharoconjunctivitis, rheumatism, arthritic inflammations;
- Excessive weight loss;
- Arthrosis and rheumatic pains.
Sulfur iodatum for acne treatment
Common acne (called vulgaris) is a chronic inflammation of the skin that affects the sebaceous glands and hair follicles. It manifests itself especially in young people from the age of 12 to disappear by the age of twenty but in some cases it can last up to thirty or forty years.
One of the main triggers of acne is the excessive production of sebum (an oily substance that serves to defend the skin) by the sebaceous glands placed at the base of the hair. The causes, however, can also derive from other factors such as: genetic predisposition, bacterial infections, chemicals and particular cosmetics, psycho-physical stress, thyroid problems and the hypothalamic-pituitary axis.
Homeopathic therapies are of great help for the treatment of skin manifestations such as acne. Often, in fact, dermatological problems are resistant to conventional therapies but Homeopathy, which frames the symptom in the totality of the person who manifests it, allows to search for a remedy that comes closer to the underlying psychic cause of the disorder. The goal of the homeopathic doctor is therefore to identify a “soil” remedy that acts at a deep level and does not only treat external manifestations.
Among the remedies for the treatment of acne also includes Sulphur iodatum. The subject to whom this remedy will be prescribed suffers from papulo-pustular acne especially on the forehead and back. The skin manifestations are the same as Sulphur’s, but on a mental level it is different: it is in fact a more idealistic and less concrete person than the subject Sulphur. He is also introverted, irritable and suffers from mood swings.
Sulfur iodatum: constitutional type
Each homeopathic remedy corresponds to a specific constitutional type; the subject Sulphur iodatum has the following characteristics:
- Agitation, variability, irritability (in the stenic phase);
- Mild depression, pessimism, sadness (in the asthenic phase).
- Thinness and weakness;
- Internal burning with cold outside;
- Excoriating secretions.
- Skin: moist eczema with itching that aggravates with heat, acne of the forehead and back, sicosis of the beard;
- Digestive system: alternation of appetite and loss of appetite;
- Respiratory system: tonsillar hypertrophy, violent cough with tracheal phlegm;
- Locomotor system: joint and muscle pain with internal burning that worsens with moisture and at night;
- Lymphatic system: glandular hypertrophy.
Sulphur iodatum approaches the subject Sulphur with regard to skin manifestations and Iodum for thyroid and glandular aspects, although the latter is decidedly more anxious, warmer and leaner.
In addition, the symptoms of Sulphur iodatum worsen with heat and effort while improving with coolness.