Coconut oil is one of the most fashionable substances for cosmetic use thanks to the amount of benefits it brings to health: from skin hydration to teeth whitening
Coconut oil is a natural product with antibacterial and moisturizing properties that are ideal for the care of many parts of the body. Among these we find the teeth: today, in fact, we propose you to switch to toothpaste with coconut oil .
Frequent uses of coconut oil for health
This substance contains a high concentration of saturated fats, which do not raise cholesterol and are better absorbed by the body. Its benefits include:
- Removes makeup naturally
- Moisturizes the skin of the face and body
- Natural deodorant
- Mosquito repellent
- Substitute for shaving cream
- Treatment for stretch marks
- Wrinkle reduction
- Relieves hemorrhoids
Coconut oil for tooth health
Few people know that using a toothpaste with coconut oil brings numerous oral health benefits.
Several researches confirm that this product is able to remove the bacterial plaque that forms on the teeth, and for this reason it represents an effective and low cost treatment. This is partly due to its high content of lauric acid , which has an antibacterial and antifungal effect.
Toothpaste with coconut oil: how does it improve oral health?
Frequent use of coconut oil in the mouth, either by rinsing or using a toothbrush, will bring you the following benefits:
- It will reduce bad breath
- It will decrease the inflammation of the gums, while also fighting gingivitis
- It will make your teeth lighter
- It will clean deeply, avoiding the formation of caries, plaque or tartar.
- Unlike industrial toothpastes, coconut oil does not contain harmful chemicals that can impair the endocrine system or antibiotic resistance.
- Since it does not contain fluoride, it does not erode the teeth. As a toxic substance, fluoride can cause health problems. This is particularly important in the case of children, who may inadvertently ingest small amounts of toothpaste while brushing their teeth.
Coconut oil rinse
The procedure is the same as for commercial mouthwashes. It is recommended to carry out this treatment a couple of times a week.
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil (30 ml)
How to use it
- Brush your teeth carefully before rinsing.
- Afterwards, take the oil and rinse for 5 minutes
- Run it all over your mouth, including your teeth.
- Don’t gargle.
- You can gradually increase the duration up to 10 minutes.
- After you’re done, spit.
- A few minutes later, rinse your mouth with water.
Toothpaste with coconut oil
To brush your teeth, the ideal is to combine coconut oil with baking soda . The abrasive nature of baking soda is ideal for removing tartar stains on teeth and returning them to their natural whiteness. In this way, you will enhance the effect of the oil and get an adequate cleaning of the teeth.
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil (30 ml)
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda (20 g)
- 1/2 tablespoon of peppermint oil, peppermint, cinnamon or other herbs for flavor (5 ml) (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil over low heat for a couple of minutes . The goal is to make it more liquid. This will make it easier for it to melt.
- In a small saucepan, pour the coconut oil and baking soda and mix them until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour in the herbal essential oil a little at a time and keep stirring.
- Put the paste on the toothbrush and then brush your teeth as you normally would. Remember to also brush the tongue and the inside of the cheeks.
- Rinse with water.
You can also make enough coconut oil toothpaste for the whole week. You just have to keep the proportions between the various ingredients and store the toothpaste in a clean glass container.
In this case, do not put the toothbrush directly into the container to avoid contaminating it . Help yourself with a small spoon or spatula to collect the toothpaste and apply it on the toothbrush.
Other tips for improving tooth health
- Minimize the consumption of sugars and sweets, as they promote the appearance of tooth decay.
- Avoid cigarettes.
- Brush your teeth no more than 15 minutes after each meal. In this way you will avoid the formation of bacterial plaque.
- Make sure you follow a healthy diet, rich in vitamins and minerals. Mineral salts are essential for keeping teeth and bones strong.
- Get regular teeth brushing at the dentist.