Have you recently felt a very sharp pain in areas of the face such as the bridge of the nose or the front of the head? If your answer is yes, it is likely that you are suffering from a condition known as sinusitis. Sinusitis is a problem that is characterized by an inflammation in the paranasal sinuses of the nose and usually occurs as a symptom of developing another respiratory disease such as the flu or a cold. In addition to this acute pain in these areas of the face, sinusitis is identified by other symptoms such as nasal congestion, cough and fever, among others.
In addition to taking the medications that your GP will have assigned you, you can also combine these drugs with natural remedies that can alleviate these symptoms. One of the best known treatments to treat this condition is garlic, a vegetable that has different medicinal properties indicated for respiratory diseases.
Properties of garlic for sinusitis
There are different natural remedies that help fight sinusitis, but garlic is considered one of the most effective. Garlic, also scientifically known as Allium sativum L., is a plant that belongs to the Liliaceae family and is used in gastronomy for its strong flavor. However, its different active ingredients, including allicin and ajoene, make it a powerful medicinal remedy against sinusitis due to its following properties:
- Antibacterial and antiseptic properties: thanks to its active ingredients, garlic is considered a powerful natural antibiotic, so it can combat fever and discomfort caused by sinusitis. At the same time, it fights the bacterial infections that cause this nasal condition, such as the flu or a cold.
- Expectorant properties: it also has expectorant properties that relieve other symptoms that appear along with this problem, such as nasal congestion, cough and pain in other areas such as the eyes or jaw.
- Anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties: thanks to its richness in essential oils and principles such as allicin, this vegetable contains excellent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which is why it can also reduce the characteristic sharp pains that the person suffers both in the front part of the head as in the sinuses when suffering from this condition.
- Strengthens the immune system: finally, its content of both allicin and B vitamins give garlic properties that favor our immune system. Thanks to these nutrients, this natural remedy increases the production of white blood cells in our body, which helps to raise our defenses and, consequently, prevent different infections.
How to cure sinusitis with garlic – very effective remedy
Thanks to the previous section, we already know what the properties of garlic are that will help us treat this nasal problem. One of the most popular remedies using this vegetable to combat sinusitis is to perform a garlic steam bath. To do it, you just have to follow the following step by step:
- 4 cloves of garlic.
- 1.5 liters of water.
- 1 towel.
Preparation and treatment
- The first step will be to add a liter and a half of water to a pot and heat it until it begins to boil.
- When the water reaches its boiling point, add 4 peeled garlic cloves to the same pot and cook for approximately 5-10 more minutes over low heat.
- Once the indicated time has passed, turn off the heat and lean into the water, putting a towel over your head. Be careful not to burn yourself with the pot.
- When you are in that position, begin to inhale the garlic vapor and then exhale it. Repeat this exercise for 5 minutes.
To notice results with this natural remedy, you will have to repeat the entire process at least twice a day (once in the morning and once before going to sleep).
Other recipes with garlic to combat sinusitis
In addition to the steam bath using this vegetable, there are also other recipes with garlic that can reduce the symptoms of sinusitis. Among them we find:
- Infusion of garlic and turmeric: this plant has powerful anti-inflammatory properties due to its richness in pungent compounds. To make the infusion, mix 1 clove of garlic with half a tablespoon of turmeric in a cup of well-boiled water and let it sit for a few minutes. Then strain the drink and drink it.
- Honey and garlic syrup: this natural product stands out for its excellent antibacterial properties, ideal for sinusitis. Crush 3 cloves of garlic in a mortar and then mix it with 2 tablespoons of honey. Consume the mixture daily before each meal.
- Garlic and apple cider vinegar preparation: this food seasoning is characterized by its antiseptic properties, which are ideal for relieving nasal congestion. Boil two cups of water and then mix in it 4 crushed garlic cloves together with a tablespoon of vinegar. Then let the ingredients rest for 30 minutes. Finally remove the garlic and take a tablespoon a day of this mixture.